Tuesday, May 1, 2007

More from Masha

Tennis
Mike Connors

Here's some more of my interview with Masha Pozar that didn't make it into the feature article for May 2nd.
Q: Did you idolize certain tennis players growing up?
A: I used to love Hingis. When she was younger I thought she was great, and I was so happy when she came back. I used to like her a lot. Other than that, not really, I didn’t have that many. The guys, I liked Ivanišević and these players because they were head cases, but I thought they were great. I think I actually just liked Hingis a lot. I liked the [Williams] sisters before they stopped, but in the very beginning I liked them a lot.

Coach Judy Dixon on Masha's success this season on the court:
"She lost only four matches in her duel matches. That’s incredible. She won 78% of her matches at #2. That’s incredible. In doubles, she played both #1 and rarely #2, and she had about 17 wins in doubles. For the first time, she made the all-time career wins list. She now is tied for tenth with 50 wins, and Michele, who broke the record this year, has 67. She also has 50 wins in doubles, which is really interesting, that’s rare…She had 17 wins in doubles and 21 wins in singles so she’s going to be right up at the top in career wins. She’s tremendously improved her footwork, confidence, and balance but this is a kid who has really come into her own I think this year."

No comments: